Powder diffraction of a sample (P-XRD) allows the identification of crystalline phases. While a powdered sample is irradiated with x-rays at a specific energy, the angle 2Theta within the Bragg-geometry of sample and detector is changing. This results in constructive interference of radiation for specific angles for a given phase and produces a so called powder pattern which is the result after scanning a typical 2Theta interval. This pattern will be then matched with reference data. Known mineral phases which were published will always contain this reference data. The Bragg-Brentano setup is illustrated here:
image source: Common point detector setup. modified figure
[Online; visited on 17. Juli 2017].
- qualitative phase analysis via x-ray diffraction of extremely small amounts of material (mg-regime, comparable to very few grains of salt)
- each measurement includes a diffraction pattern (intensity vs. 2Theta), a table with d-values and a phase identification (if possible)
- determination of phase volumes, atomic substition, lattice constant via Rietveld refinement on request (FullProf/Powdercell)
- for a definite phase identification the knowledge of the chemical composition is sometimes needed (EDS analysis). E.g. vivianite group minerals with (M3(XO4)2 · 8H2O, where X = As, P M = Mg, Mn, Fe, Co, Ni, Cu, Zn)
- waiting time not longer than 2 weeks
Fit of sample (red) and reference picropharmacolite (green bars and blue lines)
After purchase was succesfully completed, you will receive an invoice with our address in Germany, where you will send the material/samples to.
We offer two options for the shipment of the samples:
1st option: You can order your shipment material here and isolate the material with a needle at home in a capsula.
2nd option: It is also possible to send your sample without any preparation but with a marker indicating the material to isolate and a short note what and how we shall analyse the isolate. Previous results eg. SEM-EDS results should be sent too as they can help while the identification process.
Please choose a shipment method while checking out if you want to get a return of your samples (+5.00€ for small samples).
Analysis will be carried out on a Rigaku Miniflex Benchtop diffractometer system with Bragg geometry at 40kV and 15mA.
For a reasonable signal-noise ratio we use a silicon zero background holder. This allows us to obtain results from very small amounts.
see also for more information: https://www.rigaku.com/en/products/xrd/miniflex/app028
For fitting the data we use the COD or ICSD data base.
How to order:
- P-XRD measurement of sample with intensity-2Theta profile, d-value table and phase matching