Energydispersive xray analysis provides information about the chemical composition of a sample. Non-flat samples are analysed on carbon in variable pressure mode providing semi-quantitative analysis results. Alternatively a coating of the samples allows SE imaging and high resolution in the high-vacuum mode.
- Elements from Carbon - Uranium detectable
- The data includes a SEM image, spectrum and table with quantification (at%, wt%)
- non-conductive, inhomogenous, rough, samples in variable pressure mode
- We can not ensure, that your sample can be assigned to a valid mineral after SEM-EDS. An identification is more likely when several analytical methods are used in combination.
- processing can take up to month
- minimum material: µ-gram
After a successfull checkout through our online shop system, you will receive an invoice with our address. Please send the samples to this address. An alternative to our ordering system is to send the samples to our address which allows to find the best working analysis method for your request.
We offer two options / types of sample shipment:
2nd option: You send your isolated material, e.g. in a capsula (order here), or send the entire specimen including a detailed documentation.
Please note, that a sample declared as "sample for scientific research" can avoid long custom clearance if you send from outside of the EU.
- Please choose a shipment method while checking out if you want to get a return of your samples (+5.00€ for small samples).
Analysis will be performed on a Hitach S3700N tungsten electron microscope with SE-, BSE- and EDX-Detector Quantax 200/EDAX detector with an energy resolution of 123eV @ MnKalpha.
Comparison BSE- and SE-Detector:
Samples, that are not consecutively analysed by Raman spectroscopy, can be coated by Carbon and measured in high vacuum mode of the SEM. Generally the VP mode of the SEM chamber allows the measurement of uncoated, non-conducting samples with a restriction to the BSE detector (SE is unavailable in VP mode) at limited magnificaction. For SEM-EDS tasks Carbon coating is typical, whereas gold coating is advantageous for SEM photo documentation tasks.
In this section you find reference analysis: